[rollei_list] Re: OT Ancient Computers (was Re: Re: Rollei -Singapore) now analogue versus digital

  • From: "austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:46:40 -0500

Hi Frank,

> For medium format or what
> used to be called "miniature format" when
> I started photography this is not true.

You're putting an Allard with a Cortina in one sentence...  For medium
format, no commerciall available full frame (as opposed to scanning)
digital imaging system that I know of can match the image fidelity of
medium format (except perhaps in some circumstances 645).  For 35mm, in
most circumstances, I agree, digital has equal to or higher image fidelity
than film.

But it is interesting that you said:

> The fact that some people prefer the sound
> of analogue is not evidence that it is better

The same is true of digial imaging.  Because some prefer digitally
originated images (as in shot using a digital sensor, as opposed to scanned
film printed digitally) to film does not mean they are "better".  People
seem to prefer distortion...OK, that explans why lower fidelity analog
recordings are preferred by some...and with digital, some people think
sharpness is an indication of a "better" image.  A sharper image does not
mean the image has higher image fidelity.  The sharpest image you can get
in fact has quite low image fidelity...a pure black square next to a pure
white square.  Well, that is unless you happen to have taken a picture of a
pure black and white square that is.

Regards,

Austin

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web