[rollei_list] OT: 35mm RF (Voigtlander Bessa)

  • From: Jan Decher <jan.decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:18:37 -0700

Thor:

If you check the Cameraquest website
(http://www.cameraquest.com/voigt_250.htm )you will see that both the more
refined R3A and R2A "Bessa's" will soon be out in all manual versions as
R3M and R2M, together with a very nice collapsible "Heliar" 2.0/50mm.

I just bought a 1.4/40mm "Nokton" for my bargain restored Leica M3, while
my collapsible 2.0/50 Summicron front element is being polished and
recoated by Arax.  The 40mm has a wonderful feel!  Will have first results
on Provia 100 F tomorrow morning.  If the new Bessa's are even half as well
put together as this lens I am quite tempted to order the R3M as a metered
body with the 40 mm frame and maybe even a chrome 2.0/50 Heliar to replace
the Summicron.

Who cares if Cosina RF's are not "real" Voigtlaenders or Zeiss Ikons!  Fact
is, that classic ZI Contaxes are out of production since 1961 and Leicas
are overpriced new and used (unless you are lucky).  Cosina's Mr. Kobayashi
is giving RF shooters, who are resisting the digital trend, some really
nice affordable RF's and lots of excellent lenses and accessories at
different price levels to choose from.  His recent collaboration with Zeiss
for ZM and ZF/S lenses is a welcome replacement for the Contax G, C/Y and N
systems demise.

I suggested to him to do the same for MF by reviving the classic East
German Praktisix or postwar Exakta 66 with a reliable metal shutter,
precise metering and Zeiss designed lenses in P6 mount.  Such a new 6x6
camera could gain a good following, with the Contax 645 defunct and
Hasselblad barely hanging on.

So get your Bessa and enjoy shooting. Cartier-Bresson might have done the
same had he lived today.  I am sure he hated missing all those "decisive
moments" while fiddling with the bottom-loading of his Leica.. ;-)
Cheers,
Jan

====
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:03:03 +0200
From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
Well,
thanks again to everyone who helped me learn more last year about a
replacement for my friends Minox GT. They got a Bessa R3a and a 40/1.4
to go with it a while back. I was over at their place recently and
helped them go through it and get to know it - wow what a really nice
camera!....
Are there any users who can help me weight pro's /cons of Voigtlander
vs. others? I don't want auto everything, or motors, or autofocus so
the Hexar and Contax G2 and such are out. I'm thinking either
Voigtlander, or vintage (is there a lot of old, nice, available and
cheap stuff to be had?) or possibly Leica if there exists something
reasonably priced that is comparable to the Bessa.
Cheers,
Thor