[rollei_list] Re: New NiCad cells for Rolleiflex 3001

  • From: John Wild <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:32:30 +0100

James,

I guess you're talking about the 2000/3000 battery holders and not the
SLX/6000.

I use the higher rated NiCd cells and have no problem. I do have the rapid
charger though. My slow charger has no charge light and I found that if the
holder contacts were oxidised in any, I had no way of checking if it was
charging or not - so 14 hours would be wasted!. I did cut the cable so I
could put an ammeter in-line and also that facilitated using a 12v car
instrument lamp as a discharger. I regularly have to clean the contacts both
on the camera and the battery packs. The contact area is so small, they pit
& oxidise very quickly.

As you say the NiMH require a different charging method. The Rollei pack,
requiring 5 cells, is a PITA because you have to buy 6 cells!

The holders are some form of plastic because they melt! I had one cell that
shorted and glowed red hot melting the end of the holder. I cleaned it up
and other than a slight bulge, is fully operational again. You could try a
PVC hot-gun welder and weld in a fillet to the crack or else a hot-melt glue
gun but I guess epoxy glue would do the trick.

John