[rollei_list] New NiCad cells for Rolleiflex 3001

  • From: James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 07:10:42 -0700

The NiCad cells in my battery pack are basically dead. The original ones are only 700 mAh but I see that Sanyo also has 1100 mAh. So, I was wondering if there was any reason not to use the higher capacity one.

I also noticed that the NiMH cells claim a 2450 mAh rating, but I don't know if they could supply enough current for the full discharge cycle. I have a holder for 5 AA cells too, that is a bit the worst for wear. The latch was sticking so I disassembled that. Slight corrosion and the chrome is pealing off the steel piece but that polished off OK. But I find that one of the corners is cracked. So, I am wondering if epoxy would repair the corner. I don't know what type of plastic this is, but it doesn't really seem to be as tough as HP calculators -- glass filled polycarbonate.

I tried some Locktite epoxy that said it was made for plastic and it didn't stick. Great. :-( I have widened the crack so I can use the epoxy as a filler. I was going to try to get some slow set with black filler at an auto supply store.

It looks to me that it may have cracked due to the pressure exerted by having the batteries in it. I don't suppose that the piece of plastic would still be available as a part. So, I was considering if I should try to reinforce the corner with some stainless steel. It isn't possible to put a fillet of epoxy on the inside because it would interfere with the latch.

It is unfortunate that the NiMH batteries require a special charger so must be removed for changing.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch