[rollei_list] Re: Ford motor and Rolleiflex

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 12:54:05 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 11:19 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Ford motor and Rolleiflex

I think these comments don't deal with the fundamental roll of the photographer. It is irrelevant what the original light in the scene was. If the photographer wants to depict a scene as reality, then any light he presents that is plausible will work for the reasons Jim describe. If the photographer wants to present a more dramatic depiction which aesthetically departs from reality, then he can go blue or orange or violet or yellow, as long is it works. Yes, the image must stand on its own, but plausibility is not necessarily the
point...

Take a look at the racing series recently published in Studio Photography:

http://www.imaginginfo.com/publication/article.jsp?pubId=3&id=2113

I am not holding this series up as a paragon of excellence, but merely as an example of a clear departure from reality and plausibility which
works creatively.

As for Jim's statement that the shots are way too blue, that they must
be corrected, and that all observers will agree with his
pronouncement, I say Jim, I and some others on this list are living proof that you are wrong! This is a matter of taste and opinion, not
absolute judgment.

Eric Goldstein

These are fascinating images. They remind me of the best cover art from science fiction magazines of the 1950's, probably a wider range of dates than that. All phantasy of a world that did not exist but fed the imaginations of the readers. I have a good friend who writes about and photographs high end auto racing and have met some of the people he knows in the business. I think these images are the sort of thing that would please them. It is not the kind of thing I know how to do or would want to do but it certainly has a place, which is not meant to denigrate it in any way.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx