[rollei_list] Re: Decline of Rollieflex/Film

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:06:39 -0400

At 12:03 PM 3/25/2010, Austin Franklin wrote:
>Hi Carlos,
>
>I think at times you are blinded by shiny things...tagged Rollei, and
>invisible to things...tagged Hasselblad.  What proof do you have that shows
>Hasselblads were only for professionals, and that more advanced amateurs
>used Rolleis than Hasselblads?  I understand Rollei's "Golden Age"...but
>that isn't what we're discussing.  We're discussing the decline of the
>Rollei TLR, and Hasselblad had a significant contribution to that.  For some
>reason, you don't want to accept that "established fact".

Austin

Check with Rick Nordin, the fellow who wrote the Hasselblad Compendium. He will support everything Carlos has said about the relationship between the all-pro Hasselblad and the mainly-amateur Rolleiflex. Or check with our own Mike Fletcher, a Hasselblad pro, who will also agree. None of us are suggesting that pros did not buy Rolleiflex cameras or that amateurs did not buy Hasselblads, but the business plan for the companies was for Hassie to be a pro camera and Rollei to be an amateur camera.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!