[rollei_list] Re: Decline of Rollieflex/Film

  • From: Newhouse230@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 23:34:03 EDT

Hi again Austin,

 Well...45+ years has dulled my memory a bit on which  models we sold at
the Brookline stores. I seem to remember quite a selection  of models at that
time...both 3.5 E and 3.5F...and the 3.5T..........and  2.8E  (I don't think
the 2.8F was out yet in the late 50's early 60's..was  it?). and a LOT of
the Rolleicord 5a and 5b...and probably  other models that are slipping my
mind. Also a lot of earlier used  models.  Most of the Rolleiflex's lenses
were Planars rather than  Xenotars. ...
   I think those stores I mentioned sold a lot more  3.5's than
2.8's....and a ton of 'cords'.    I think that the  pros did choose 2.8, but I
just
don't have a clear memory of that, so I'm not  sure whether it's true memory or
just 'common sense' telling me  that.
  Sorry I can't be more definitive.

Regards,
Charlie

In a message dated 3/25/2010 9:38:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi  Charlie,

Out of curiosity, which  Rolleis did your camera stores sell mostly, and
which to which type of  buyer.  IOW, did you sell a 2.8F to an amateur, and a
Rolleicord to a  professional?  Point is, Rollei had a far more diverse line
than  Hasselblad.  Hasselblad had only one high end camera.  Rollei had a
high end, the 2.8 Planar/Xenotar, and then the lower end Rolleicord and
others  in between.  Spanning a much larger market segment.  I find it hard  to
believe the 2.8F for example, was a choice of amateurs.  So, I think  this
discussion really needs to understand what part of what market segment  we're
talking about here.  Hasselblads certainly didn't compete on any  level
with Rolleicords.  But, did with 2.8Fs.

Regards,

Austin