[rollei_list] Re: About some F "white face"... conversions?

  • From: Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 08:50:02 -0700

I have a white face 2.8F without the 12/24 function. Another one I had was also without it. Both are 29xxx numbers, with Xenotar optics.
I also have 3.5F, 285xxx numeration, with the 12/24 function. I would gladly replace the side plate without one, if I could find one.

Slobodan Dimitrov
Studio G-8,
Angels Gate Cultural Center
http://sdimitrovphoto.com

On Jul 30, 2006, at 7:54 AM, Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

My sources are the best that you can find about Rollei
cameras, one of them is the factory and the other is
an engineer that worked for Rollei during 36 years
until the '90s, he was Rollei cameras designer and
Technical manager, BTW Rollei production was very
complex along the years and these sources could have
some omissions but these omissions are scarce, very
rares, the Rollei Factory manual includes the 2.8F and
3.5F without lightmeter, for example, anyway I insist
that I quoted cameras that show more than one feature
out of the factory specs, and BTW, after these cameras
has been more than 30 years in the market, I consider
these two sources more realiables than eBay.-+

All the best
Carlos
 --- Shannon Hong <triode12@xxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

Hi Carlos,

You don't have to apologise, I do not doubt the
authenticity of my WF
Xenotars as I have seen numourous others like them
for sale on Ebay over a 7
year period -some like new in box. They cannot have
all been doctored.

I was just disputing the accuracy of your sources.

Shannon

From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: About some F "white
face"... conversions?
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:31:02 +0000 (GMT)

I'm sorry if I caused you a doubt about your
cameras
Shannon, perhaps there were white face versions
without 12/24 film counter and the Rollei Factory
Repair Manual doesn't mention this version and
perhaps
there also is an omission in Prochnow about it,
it's
possible very much, however Planar or Xenotar were
not
an option for the 3.5F "white face", Rollei
manufactured the 3.5F provided with Xenotar 3.5/75
lens exclusively from 1966 from serial 2815000; and
regarding the Planar 2.8/80 white face, the higher
serial number could be 2.8F 2479999, afterwards
from
serial 2950000 they were provided with Xenotar
2.8/80
only. Since I considered that could exist F white
faces without the 12/24 film counter for some
reason,
I chose cameras that show other out of
specifications
features too like the two cameras I have quoted,
and
BTW if a camera has strap holders out of specs
changed
after its original manufacture, or the original
lens
was changed, it's not an original camera talking
about
a collector perspective, these cameras cause to me
serious doubts about if they are 100% originals,
but
they are only doubts...

All the best
Carlos
 --- Shannon Hong <triode12@xxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

Hi Carlos,

I seriously doubt that all white face 2.8Fs or
3.5Fs
came with 12/24
switches as standard that is why there are quite
few that have just the
newer winder side panel with the raised platform
where the switch usually
resides. I believe the 12/24 functionality was
an
option as was the choice
of a Planar or Xenotar lens. That is why the
12/24
switch is such a rarity
on any 2.8F (be they White Face or no).

I do agree that most of the White face 2.8Fs
with
Planar lenses I've come
across (on Ebay) are usually from the 240000 s/n
block rather than the later
290000 block. I don't believe I've ever seen a
white
face 2.8F Planar in the
290000 block of numbers. While I have seen 3.5F
WF
planars in the 290000
block.

I own two late model (290000 block) Xenotar
white
face units which don't
have 12/24 switches. And a new in box Planar
white
face 12/24 unit in the
240000 s/n block. As far as I know, my Xenotar
units
were not previously
tampered with.

rgds
Shannon

From: Carlos Manuel Freaza
<cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
face"... conversions?
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:38:49 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Shannon:
            I was talking on the basis of the
two
sources I mentioned, if the sources are wrong,
I'm
wrong, if the sources are right, I'm right, I
talked
about an assumption, not about a certainty.
The strap holders semi-circles lack is one of
the
well
known external original "white face"
features(Rollei
repair manual and Report II photograph caption
page
16-384 ), and all the "white faces" that I saw
respecting 100% the specs had 12/24 film
counter
(the
lever working as you described), a visible
switch
with
the number 24 in white background and to be
more
precise, this visible 220 film counter lever
was
provided from the # 2442134 on 1965, before the
white
face production .
I could be wrong, but I quoted two cameras that
don't
have at least two features corresponding to the
original F "white face" specs.
For example, the following camera is 100%
within
the
original "white face" specs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLLEIFLEX-2-8F-Xenotar-80mm-Lens-White- Face-12-24_W0QQitemZ160010032096QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3354QQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem

or look for the item 160010032096

Note that this camera has the serial number
2,8F
2952374 and has Xenotar lens, the camera in
Co....
has
the serial number 2950286 and Planar lens,
according
Prochnow the 2.8F was provided only with the
Xenotar
lens from 1973 and the # 2950000... and if you
want
an
example about a 2.8F white face 100% within the
original specs for the "white face" with Planar
2.8/80
lens there is one on eBay right now, it has
the
#2478334, lower than the 2.8F in Co... and it
has
12/24 film counter and it does not have the
semi-circles in the strap holders..., look for
the
item 130010327970 and you'll see this 100%
"white
face" Planar being older have evident
differences
with
the camara at Co... and it's identical except
for
the
lens regarding the other 2.8F 100% white face
Xenotar
I quoted above.

All the best
Carlos