[roc-chat] Re: Space Camp for today's kids

  • From: "Jim - TFJ" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 10:39:39 -0700

LOL,

I couldn't tell you how many times that our district has voted for

bonds that would reduce classroom sizes to about 20.

They're still at about 30+ students per class.

But if we would just pass this next bond to reduce class room sizes, that

will fix it!

Jim G.

/rant off.

Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 12:57:34 -0400
From: airplaniac2002@xxxxxxxxx
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Isn't it America's finest news source? Says so right at the top. C=

On May 30, 2014 12:51 PM, "Gregory Lyzenga" <lyzenga@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On May 30, 2014, at 9:45 AM, R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thank you for posting the link David.

This is controversial for sure.  For the age of the kids involved, I don't
think this kind of 'simulation' enriches their experience.  I've seen
schools and teachers give 'lessons' that seem to me to be more an expression
of their own frustration than a beneficial learning experience for the kids.
Kind of like using children as messengers to their parents.

For example, since we know that space exploration is dangerous, should one
of the children be 'killed' in an accident during the program?  They could
pick one of the astronaut kids, suddenly remove them from the program and
send them home saying, "see, it's dangerous, so now your dead."  Then, all
the other kids could grieve, and maybe it could be their fault.  Wow, what a
rewarding experience that would be!  :-/

I just don't think that slamming the kids at a young age is valuable.  SLI
and USLI teams learn about budgets and red-tape.  Even TARC teams learn
about budget restraints through the process of building, launching, and
perhaps travel expenses.  Sometimes dreams come before cold reality and the
dreams push us through the BS.  These kids need to develop the momentum of
their dreams - the speed bumps will come.

Or, perhaps I'm being too protective of the children in the space camp
program?

Richard Dierking

Uh, Richard. You do know what "The Onion" is, don't you???

Gregory A. Lyzenga    <lyzenga@xxxxxxx>

Dept. of Physics, Harvey Mudd College            (909) 621-8378

Claremont, CA 91711-5990                       mobile (626) 808-5314