[roc-chat] Re: Space Camp for today's kids

  • From: R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 11:18:10 -0700

Now I do.  I know I take stuff too seriously.  :-)  And, need to read the whole
story!!!
This is up there with a Rosanne Rosannadanna routine.  Us old farts will
remember (when Saturday Night was funny).  What's all this with Sax and
Violins?

Richard Dierking
Good to laugh, even when you get caught yourself.

Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 10:21:49 -0700
From: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [roc-chat] Re: Space Camp for today's kids
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Richard, you realize this is a joke right?

Ha?

Bryce Chanes

                            Carlo Vaccari <airplaniac2002@xxxxxxxxx>;

                             <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>;

                            [roc-chat] Re: Space Camp for today's kids

                            Fri, May 30, 2014 4:57:34 PM

                                        Isn't it America's finest news source?
Says so right at the top. C=
On May 30, 2014 12:51 PM, "Gregory Lyzenga" <lyzenga@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On May 30, 2014, at 9:45 AM, R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thank you for posting the link David. This is controversial for sure.  For the
age of the kids involved, I don't think this kind of 'simulation' enriches
their experience.  I've seen schools and teachers give 'lessons' that seem to
me to be more an expression of their own frustration than a beneficial learning
experience for the kids.  Kind of like using children as messengers to their
parents.
 For example, since we know that space exploration is dangerous, should one of
the children be 'killed' in an accident during the program?  They could pick
one of the astronaut kids, suddenly remove them from the program and send them
home saying, "see, it's dangerous, so now your dead."  Then, all the other kids
could grieve, and maybe it could be their fault.  Wow, what a rewarding
experience that would be!  :-/
 I just don't think that slamming the kids at a young age is valuable.  SLI and
USLI teams learn about budgets and red-tape.  Even TARC teams learn about
budget restraints through the process of building, launching, and perhaps
travel expenses.  Sometimes dreams come before cold reality and the dreams push
us through the BS.  These kids need to develop the momentum of their dreams -
the speed bumps will come.
 Or, perhaps I'm being too protective of the children in the space camp
program? Richard Dierking Uh, Richard… You do know what “The Onion” is, don’t
you???

<lyzenga@xxxxxxx>
Dept. of Physics, Harvey Mudd College            (909) 621-8378Claremont, CA
91711-5990                       mobile (626) 808-5314