[roc-chat] Re: [Bulk] Re: Youth Groups at ROCstocks

  • From: Tom Hanan <tom.hanan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 10:40:08 -0800

That's Great News Richard ;)

Now the LP table only needs

LPLCO: Low Power Launch Control Officer (Only if HP wait times would benefit from an LPLCO) (>18 Years old)
LPRC:     Low Power (<E) Rocket Checker (>18 years old, designated by RSO)

LPPM: Low Power Pad Manager (could be a >15yr old Scout earning their badge, with some guidance) LPPA: Low Power Pad Assistant (could be a >15yr old Scout earning their badge, with some guidance)

These sound like "relatively" easy positions to train up and staff especially if we require all groups that receive the group discount to staff one of the the positions for >2hrs/day for each 5 flying group members. Large groups participating for multiple days will obviously be doing a lot of volunteering to get their discount.

I also think we need to require youth groups to pre register the group size and range duty time slots to qualify for their group discount. That way ROC can get a better handle on what to expect at a given launch, and who already has training to volunteer for LP and or HP range duty. Most groups i work with know those details at least a week before the launch if they show up at all ;) If not they pay the regular rate.

It sounds like the majority of HP & LP ROC members agree that would be entirely appropriate :)
I expect to hear feedback on that one ;)

These suggestions are not intended to discourage LP, Youth or Groups, they are just perfunctory acknowledgement that nothing reliably happens until the logistics addressed.

Frankly Sunday at RocStock looked like Zulu Dawn, with only a handful of fantasticly commited ROC BOD & Executive members to face them!

By the way, at small monthly launches, I hope my Grandkids can continue to stand in line with, and ask questions of, someone with a Sparky "L or M". Those moments are priceless for everyone ;)

"Straw Hat" Tom

On 11/15/2012 9:23 AM, Richard Dierking wrote:
OMG; I really didn't wish to go down this road. However, I don't feel too bad about it because I've brought this up a couple times before. At ROC launches, the RSO is busy inspecting rockets and many times is sitting at a table with their back to the range. This is a poor title for this person. The RSO should be the RSO. Again, we're talking about another position, but maybe not another person. One of the Board members at the launch could be stationed by the LCO watching the PM and LCO and running the range. The RSO should not be rushed and have the final say on range operations. The RSO should appoint the rocket inspectors according to their skill and knowledge. You shouldn't have someone that just got their L2 inspecting a rocket with an M motor.
The order of authority at a launch should be: God, RSO, everyone else.
I usually, preface my statements with "I believe" or "in my opinion," but this time, I'm saying, this is the way it should be.