[roc-chat] Re: [Bulk] Re: Youth Groups at ROCstocks

  • From: "RocketDog" <rocket1dog@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 18:18:47 -0800

what spell check...launch.

From: RocketDog
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:24 PM
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [roc-chat] Re: [Bulk] Re: Youth Groups at ROCstocks

What certs are required for low power launces???? Any...

    From: "Tom Hanan" mailto:tom.hanan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    To: mailto:roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Date: Wed, Nov 14, 2012 12:10 pm

    A thought would be to always have separate low power an high power tables
and volunteers at Roctober and RocStock. With the table manning priority going
to low power at Roctober and high power at RocStock. Shutdowns affecting only
the table that is short handed.

    No one is excluding any one group but the priority for each launch is well
publicised and the need for volunteers to support each groups priorities
encourages each group to man their tables.

    In my opinion we also need to look hard at what would be involved to
support simultaneous  loading of low power while launching high power. We
already allow simultaneous loading of high power while loading and launching
low power. I feel very strongly that this would go a long way to addressing the
weather related launch congestion that lead to the anxiety the members
experienced at RocStock this year.

    Each power group can decide how to best motivate volunteers to man their
respective tables. The good news is that the lower volunteer confidence
threshold for low power volunteers should allow them to recruit the larger
numbers of volunteers needed to support the much larger number of low power
flyers.

    I say that knowing that there are many members of ROC who have high power
experience that would continue  to be Johny on the spot to prevent a temporary
shutdown of the kids table :)

    Its just who we are!
    ROC members are GREAT people!

    "Straw Hat" Tom

    P.S. my definition of Low Power is: Single stage, Single use A,B,C,D
engine,  <2000' AGL to minimize / simplify flight card complexity, checkout and
safety / airspace concerns. Low Power Rockets recovered on the public side of
the safety flags must demonstrate appropriate modifications to prevent future
incursions into uncontrolled public areas. Questionable airframes should be
launched on the small rod high power pads where more appropriate rocket  review
and safety buffer zones are available. NO low power hazmat rockets ;)

    On 11/14/2012 9:52 AM, David Erbas-White wrote:

      On 11/14/2012 9:32 AM, Richard Dierking wrote:

      Richard,

      I don't believe it is necessary (or possible, frankly) to discourage
youth groups at ROCstocks.

      I would refer you to my previous comment where there should be 'windows'
where there is no low-power flying at ROCstocks.  I think the only additional
work involved is a couple of big signs at the range head that say something
like "Mid-to-high power only from 10AM to 11AM and 2PM to 3PM", or whatever
works for that day.

      We need as many groups/people to join as possible in order to keep the
hobby going.

      Perhaps a graduated payment scale for youth groups?  One fee it they're
going to fly and not help out, and a lower fee if they provide an adult and/or
responsible kid over a certain age, for a specific timeframe, to assist with
the launch?

      David Erbas-White

        I believe that youth groups should be discouraged from going to
ROCstocks.  Youth groups now have their own launch (ROCtober) in the best month
for weather.  I'm not saying no low power at ROCstocks.  Just saying that large
youth groups are taking over and it's actually not fair to the high-power
flyers.

        These high-power flyers are primarily ROC Executive members.

        What have been the ROC Executive membership numbers been for say the
last 5 years?  What is the relationship between the number of low power
flights, high power flights, and ROC Executive membership?

        Richard Dierking