[roc-chat] Re: BP for Deployment of Main Question

  • From: David.P.Smith@xxxxxxx
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 11:11:31 -0800

I use the "rule of thumb" on this site.

http://www.vernk.com/EjectionChargeSizing.htm

So, by that site you would need 4 grams of ffffg black powder.

Remember that you are looking at a lot of area to apply the ejection pressure to.  A 7.5 inch circle had a bit over 23.5 square inches of are.  So 10 psid will give you 235 pounds of ejection force.

What is the shear force rating for your pins?

David P Smith
NAR 78668 L2

Amateur Extra, W6DPS

  • The opinions expressed in this email are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Southern California Edison, its parent company Edison International, or any of their affiliates.

From:        Richard Dierking <redierking@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        12/08/2011 10:10 AM
Subject:        [roc-chat] BP for Deployment of Main Question
Sent by:        roc-chat-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Say your main deployment section is 7.5" diameter, 24" long and using three (3) 2-56 nylon shear pins.  How much BP?

Also, what's the advantage of using two or more deployment canisters instead of just one?  For multiple canisters, would you wire in series or parallel?  (One 9 volt battery and Perfectflite WD altimeter with main deployment at 1100'.)

Richard Dierking
BTW: Kurt, we're not intending to turn the nose into a second stage :-)