[roc-chat] Re: BP for Deployment of Main Question

  • From: "Ian Walberg" <ian.walberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 16:25:12 -0500

Friday night on the lake bed is the perfect time to test the BP amount.

Ian

From: Chris.J.Kobel@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 12:59:56 -0800

Here's the relationships I use:   (I believe Dave Flynn is the source)

E-charges: BP(g)=.00051xLength(in)xForce(lb)x(Peak Alt ASL/10K+1) ;
150-200 lbs
2-56 nylon bolts for shear pins;  35 lbs shear force each;  100 lbs w/o
pins, 200 lbs with

Only separation force, length, and altitude are input variables.   The
diameter factors out.

Time for a ground test....

Chris

From:        Richard Dierking <redierking@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        12/08/2011 12:44 PM
Sent by:        roc-chat-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

________________________________

So Dave, how much BP would you suggest for a 7.5" diameter x 24" long
compartment with three 2-56 shear pins?
Richard

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 8, 2011, at 12:19 PM, "Dave McCue" <dmccue@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please remember that electric match makers alway say to put matches in
series - it takes no more than a 1.5V AA cell to light one, so putting
two or three in series is no problem. THis also solves the problem of
monitoring two or more matches, sine a loss of continuity anywhere will
be detected by the electronics.

> I do series match wiring all the time when I use multiple ematches to
light big liquid propulsion engines. See links below:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlkMiCtCxg0&feature=related
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlkMiCtCxg0&feature=related>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOiaxfGpudM
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOiaxfGpudM>

> You can also see the unusual recovery system I came up with for these
rockets: side deployed! This is because the rocket is big and heavy, and
needs to land on it's side to avoid unplanned damage; we assume we will
break two fins upon landing.

> By the way, the big 1000 square-foot parachute is deployed by BP
charges that push out the pilot chute, with HPR recovery electronics
making the decisions. This was one of several low altitude flights to
test the recovery system.

> Dave McCue
>
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2011, Richard Dierking wrote:
>

>> One possible failure mode:  If it's in parallel, if one of the
matches is bad and doesn't have continuity, you will not know, because
the altimeter will detect continuity in the second and indicate that
everything looks OK.  So one canister would go, but probably not be
enough BP for a successful deployment.   We tested two matches in series
yesterday, and they both went fine.  I've been using series for
airstarts and haven't had a problem (up to 4 engines).  I thought people
were crazy when I first heard about using series, but when a match
lights the "plasma ball" becomes very conductive for a moment.  However,
I have not used series for deployment charges, so thought it would be a
good idea to hear from people that had experience with this. Richard >
From: xsive.guy@xxxxxxxxx

<//www.freelists.org/list/roc-chat>