[roc-chat] Re: BP for Deployment of Main Question

  • From: Geoff Huber <ghuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 21:29:35 +0000

Do the math and then ground test and adjust.  The math always assumes a
spherical chicken.   YMMV

Geoffrey Huber
(530) 891-0853 ext 3030
Geoff.Huber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Geoff.Huber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From:        David.P.Smith@xxxxxxx<mailto:David.P.Smith@xxxxxxx>
To:        roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        12/08/2011 11:12 AM
Sent by:
roc-chat-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:roc-chat-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
________________________________

I use the "rule of thumb" on this site.

http://www.vernk.com/EjectionChargeSizing.htm

So, by that site you would need 4 grams of ffffg black powder.

Remember that you are looking at a lot of area to apply the ejection pressure
to.  A 7.5 inch circle had a bit over 23.5 square inches of are.  So 10 psid
will give you 235 pounds of ejection force.

What is the shear force rating for your pins?

From:        Richard Dierking
<redierking@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:redierking@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
To:        <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date:        12/08/2011 10:10 AM
Subject:        [roc-chat] BP for Deployment of Main Question
Sent by:
roc-chat-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:roc-chat-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Say your main deployment section is 7.5" diameter, 24" long and using three (3)
2-56 nylon shear pins.  How much BP?

Also, what's the advantage of using two or more deployment canisters instead of
just one?  For multiple canisters, would you wire in series or parallel?  (One
9 volt battery and Perfectflite WD altimeter with main deployment at 1100'.)

Richard Dierking
BTW: Kurt, we're not intending to turn the nose into a second stage :-)