[roc-chat] Re: Assistance with Repair on ROC PA System

  • From: R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 08:29:55 -0700

That's OK John, I took the system home to work on it.  It looks like getting to
the connector wouldn't be a big problem.  I thought maybe it was something I
could repair but working on the PC board is over my head.

Also, thank you so much for working on the radios!  It's been frustrating
grabbing radios from the trailer, then finding out some aren't working.

I see a couple of other posts, so here's some more info:

The connector is for using 12 volt DC.  I had 2 small 40 watt PA systems for
TRG and when that club went away, I gave one to ROC and kept the other for a
backup.  You can use 12 volt DC for this system so we didn't have to run the
generator.  Good for the monthlies, but no way could you use this PA to run a
large event.

Someone can take the one system home to repair the 12 VDC connection and we can
run on the back-up until it's back.

For the monthlies we have been pursuing faster, lighter, and easier.  David
Erbas-White installed solar panels with charge controller for the 12 volt RV
battery and also charges the launch control batteries and walkie-talkies.  So,
we had the idea of keeping the 12 volt PA system in the trailer and use a
wireless microphone at LCO to the trailer.  This was tested last month and I
was able to walk out to the middle pads with the microphone and still be able
to be heard on the PA system.  Also, there's a hands-free microphone which will
hopefully help the LCO handle launch cards while running the control panel.

Next, we are mounting 4 PA speakers on a pole attached to the small trailer.
So, you install the mast with the speakers, plug it in to the trailer, turn on
the PA system and that's it.  No more stands, rolls of PA cable, hauling the
battery, etc.

It takes effort to run a launch and maintain and improve our systems.  I've
often said that if you want to test the durability of something, give it to us
for a couple months!
Everyone should get involved and one way to get started is setting up the range.

Richard Dierking

Subject: [roc-chat] Re: Assistance with Repair on ROC PA System
From: yrockets@xxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 22:38:42 -0700
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shoot--I wish I had known this couple of days earlier.  Was just out there
picking up all the radios and chargers. I'd have grabbed it and repaired it at
the same time.  Maybe I can grab it when I take the radios back out and fix up
the week before the next launch.
On the radio front--Veni and I spent a day tearing them down, cleaning them up,
out, and I even fabricated a part to repair that pesky broken charger.  Happy
to report ALL radio's are now in good working order and tested.
I've also ordered more speakers for the PA--they will be here mid-week.  I hear
there's a project Richard wants to do that sounds interesting.
Regards

W. JOHN VAN NORMAN, CEOVAN NORMAN AUDIO VISUAL, INCOffice: 760-369-3903Mobile:
760-219-7941FAX: 760-365-7922john@xxxxxxxx
On Aug 23, 2014, at 1:59 PM, R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's an inexpensive one from Radio Shack so probably not worth the time and
money for a repair shipment.

I like the idea of a secure connection.  These power jacks don't do well with
our kind of abuse.

And, speaking of abuse...