[racktables-users] Re: How to handle virtual machine's

  • From: Johann Spies <jspies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:48:55 +0200

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 02:50:01PM +0300, Denis Ovsienko wrote:

> > > Until the new uber featureful release is out you can do what I did -
> > > create a new Chapter  called 'Hosted On'. Add your ESX server as
> > > words. Create a new attribute called 'Hosted on' , type dict.
> > > Now, put it all together by mapping the 'Hosted On' Chapter to Server
> > > object with 'Hosted On' Dictionary.
> > > Create VMs as normal servers and set the 'Hosted On'  field to
> > > respective esx host.
> >

> Hello. There's another way to do the task with 0.16.x.
> Existing "veth" port type can be employed for connecting virtual
> systems to the real hardware. The only thing necessary is to allow
> connecting 'veth' to 'veth', which is done from "Configuration->Port
> compatibility map". Then each VM would have 1 veth port, while host
> systems would have a stack of such (like 10-20, depending on the
> environment). Then assignments would be managed from usual "Port" tab.

Help me to understand this please.

On a xen-host there is for example the following interfaces:

xenbr0 xenbr1  - which I understand as Xen bridge interfaces.
peth0  peth1
vif0.0, vif0.1, vif1.0, vif1.1

So which of those do I configure in Racktables for the host?

On the guest I have eth0 and eth1 as IPv4 configured.  Then, according
to what you said above I must use one veth-port on the guest.  So I
define such a port.  Does it matter what I call it?

How do I link it with the interface on the host?

What if another host has exactly the same interfaces as this one?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye
      everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come
      in. Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and
      mighty, the LORD mighty in battle."
                                   Psalms 24:7,8