[pythian] PROJECT - possibilities..

  • From: Bernard Osmond <Bernard.Osmond@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 00:06:55 +1000

hey,

> I've been daydreaming about this all morning while working and this is
> basically what I foresee for our short-term goal of creating an
> "Infiltrate-the-fort" level.

  weak. i've been busier than a beaver with uni assignments / tests. :(

  the idea sounds rather cool though. are we going to have a dark night
enviroment with our new particle effects showing off as torches / smoke
in the actual fort ?

> Yule is working on the main Fort.  Already he has the basic layout,
> and now he's starting to add more detail.  I will make the basic
> layout available soon (next day or so).
>
> We've got two modellers working on generic houses.  This is great,
> because it gives us something to put around our Fort so the level
> doesn't look so empty.  The generic houses will be added to the Fort
> level in the new Editor, so we won't have any need to combine them in
> MAX.
>
> Once the houses are done, we should focus on creating objects for the
> Fort. We need lots of junk inside the map or else it will look boring.

  i agree. also, i freel that our textures are kind of letting us down.
looking at the pictures that darryl was crying at earlier, i was quite
amazed. we _need_ good texture artists to give our game some shine so go
searching please. kthnx.

> We'll start the character outside the Fort, among the houses.  The
> houses will be only one or two deep, but we'll put in a little alley
> for the PC to start in.  The Fort will have two entrances, both which
> are usuable.  The first entrance is the front door, which has guards,
> but it is possible to get through with fighting/sneaking.  The second
> entrance is to climb, jump up either a ladder or stacked junk to climb
> over the wall.  This entrance will not be well guarded, with only a
> single guard patrolling the wall.

  i like this idea, it balances the two entrances quite well. however,
do we have any way of cofusing guars yet ? i remember in theif 2 you
could have noisemaker arrows and things like that. should we think of
implementing something like that. also, our smoke grenades need to
confuse guards too, not just smoke up the place like they currently do.

> Yule has placed the "offices" of the leaders of the Fort on the bottom
> floor.  This is easily accessible from the front door (if you can get
> past the guards), but you have to sneak through the entire Fort to get
> to the offices from the other entrance.
>
> Once you have the item from the office (maybe we can move it to a
> bunch of different locations in the map, randomly, each time you play)
> you have to get out.  We have a choice here.  We can either have the
> guards or an officer notice the theft and call an alarm every time, or
> we can just leave it to chance.

  as much as i dislike 'scripted' things, i feel that we should make the
 theft be spotted automagically. it makes the game have a "point". to
counter this, we should make the object apper in diffrent places, maybe
in two possible distinct "areas" but with multiple hiding spots in each
area.

  also, are we going to let the player steal other things ? and will we
have a score at the end of the map ?

> We will have the PC be an Arbag for now, and the guards will all be
> Goluruts.
>
> Since we don't want all Goluruts to look the same, we will need some
> more Golurut skins for both guards and officers.  We might also need
> to expand the number of weapons we offer.

  read somewhere above ( about noisemaker arrows / guard distractions )...

> We want this to be about exploring, not fighting, so we can't have too
> many guards and they can't be too sensitive to noise/visuals.  We will
> have the guards patrolling pre-defined paths so you can figure out how
> to avoid them.

  sounds good.

  - n30n
    [ http://n30n.amok.dk/ ]