[pythian] Re: PROJECT - possibilities..

  • From: Bernard Osmond <Bernard.Osmond@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 10:34:33 +1000

hey,

> after the player has stolen the item (after certain time) an
> clerk, officer
> or whoever comes to the office. He finds out that the item has
> been stolen
> and alarms the guards which become more suspicious. If the player
> comes near
> to them, the will ask him to stand near, the will search for the
> item. If
> the player runs away, the will start hunting him. If he comes to
> the guards
> with the item in his inventory, they will attack him. So the best
> way to
> accomplish the goal is to hide the item if suspecting the guards.
> If one
> guard group searches the player once, they will become less
> suspicious and
> thus the movement will be easier. It would be interresting to include
> factors (of suspiciousness or even abusiveness) like running and being
> hectic. Each movement could be registered by the guards looking
> for hectic
> acceleration and slow downs and so on. If the guard sees as the
> player goes
> into a dark place (good for hiding the item), he will become even more
> suspicious and run fast to that place to see what the player had
> to do
> there.

  this seems like a good idea, although i think we'd need to simplify
it a little.

  maybe we could implement a "suspicion meter" as a rough guide for the
player to what the guards think of them. after a certain point on the
suspicion meter, the guars will start following the player. and after
another point, they will ask to search his pockets or whatever. if he
runs away, then the meter should automatically go up to 100% many
factors should contribute to the status of the suspicion meter,
including ( but not limited to ) the things you mentioned, running and
other stuff like that. the meter should also go down slowly, and
possibly faster if the player is in an area with no guars around.

> It is would be more realistic than anything I have ever seen in
> similar genres. Not easy to do, though.

  it would be pretty cool though :D

  - n30n
    [ http://n30n.amok.dk/ ]