[pure-silver] Re: what would you attribute the difference to?

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:52:08 -0400

Hello,

I've had similar responses. Several years ago, I had an exhibit in a gallery space that was next to an etching studio. The day I was doing the hanging, several of the people from the studio were walking by and one of them remarked on the quality of the etchings I was hanging up. Everybody stopped, came in for a closer look. What I exhibit is very abstract, rocks, faces and other images seen in the rock cliffs, etc. I was surprised at the remark, since this was the second time I had been told this, I asked the person why she thought it was an etching. There was a quality that you only found in etchings, the way, the greys mixed. On closer examination they realized that they were photos.

I asked a friend about this. She's a painter and writes exhibition reviews for the art magazine, "La Vie Des Arts". She told me that she has often seen certain B+W photos that gave the impression of being charcoal, pencil drawings or etchings.

I find this interesting as I have also started working in charcoal and with Conté pencils. Actually, I want to photograph some of the drawings on 8x10 negs and contact print them on AZO paper. Might be something interesting there.

Anyway, Janet, thanks for bring up an interesting point.

Cheers,
Bogdan

Janet Cull wrote:
We're not supposed to attach images on here, as I understand it. And there are 35 prints on the wall. Sorry I don't have a scan to attach, but I also don't think it's anything different than what we all do in the darkroom. She simply sees a difference her converted to b&w digitals and a hand-made print. Maybe the answer is that simple? Maybe it's just the difference between digital and hand-made-in-the darkroom prints, though a better-than-I photographer who has gone digital swears he can do anything he did before better now. I don't want to turn this into a film vs. digi discussion, so I'll back out now if I should, and leave my answer to her simply that it's a custom print done in the darkroom. I just wanted to explain the difference. Or at least understand it.

Oh, and "sent her gushing"?  I didn't mean to imply that, if I did.

Thanks.

On Aug 24, 2009, at 2:45 PM, winddancing wrote:

To me it is odd that a "pencil drawing" attribution is accorded to a "wet" print unless a great deal of work went into creating it that way. It is common to "edit" images in the digital world via "effect filters" or what is called Plug-ins. Of course you could use fewer words and show us the example that sent her gushing. A much larger print than 4" X 6" on a rough or textured paper viewed too close may fall apart to appear graphic like news papers of old yet still look good from a distance. ============================================================================================================= To unsubscribe from this list, go to www.freelists.org and logon to your account (the same e-mail address and password you set-up when you subscribed,) and unsubscribe from there.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4364 (20090824) __________

http://www.eset.com