[pure-silver] Re: what would you attribute the difference to?

  • From: Elias Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:19:38 -0400

Oh there's a difference, and it's very subtle. If you're used to
looking at things from as close up as I'm looking (and many of you
are) you'll see it. It's hard to define, but it's in the printing
rather than the capture. The way pigment sits on a sheet reflects
light very differently than tarnished silver does. What you send away
for and get back is printed on RC paper that's made with cost first in
mind, with average settings, and even the most concerned lab couldn't
possibly give your 24 or 36 prints anywhere near the right exposure
and development to make it sing. The occasional print will be right
on, that's about all you can expect.

I've seen some digital printing that blew me away, and I've used some
old Agfa papers that I don't think I'll ever see the likes of again,
and they gave a very interesting silvery pencil-drawing like feeling,
and there's no matching that digitally.

That being said, I can output grayscale images onto kodak premium
glossy ink jet paper using an Epson 2400, and they rival prints I make
in my darkroom on RC paper. And yet there are some negatives that I've
printed on RC that just have this indescribable quality that makes
them so lovely to look at...

Silver Gelatin printing is a medium with unique properties. The
discerning viewer will recognize it.