[pure-silver] Re: what would you attribute the difference to?

  • From: Janet Cull <jcull@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:48:14 -0400

We're not supposed to attach images on here, as I understand it. And there are 35 prints on the wall. Sorry I don't have a scan to attach, but I also don't think it's anything different than what we all do in the darkroom. She simply sees a difference her converted to b&w digitals and a hand-made print. Maybe the answer is that simple? Maybe it's just the difference between digital and hand-made-in-the darkroom prints, though a better-than-I photographer who has gone digital swears he can do anything he did before better now. I don't want to turn this into a film vs. digi discussion, so I'll back out now if I should, and leave my answer to her simply that it's a custom print done in the darkroom. I just wanted to explain the difference. Or at least understand it.

Oh, and "sent her gushing"?  I didn't mean to imply that, if I did.

Thanks.

On Aug 24, 2009, at 2:45 PM, winddancing wrote:

To me it is odd that a "pencil drawing" attribution is accorded to a "wet" print unless a great deal of work went into creating it that way. It is common to "edit" images in the digital world via "effect filters" or what is called Plug-ins. Of course you could use fewer words and show us the example that sent her gushing. A much larger print than 4" X 6" on a rough or textured paper viewed too close may fall apart to appear graphic like news papers of old yet still look good from a distance. = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ====================================================================== To unsubscribe from this list, go to www.freelists.org and logon to your account (the same e-mail address and password you set-up when you subscribed,) and unsubscribe from there.