[pure-silver] Re: what would you attribute the difference to?

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:56:45 -0500

Elias Roustom wrote:
> Tim,
>
> Nice shots, and I see what you mean about the highlights. Will we see
> scans of the film version?

I do not have that exact image in film.  However, I do have similar
images.  When/if I get a moment, I'll try and remember to scan
a neg and put it up for you to look at.

> I know even less about digital capture than I do about film - maybe when
> cameras as a whole give way to cell phones that get implanted in the
> brain I'll know a little more, but a tip that seems to be working for
> me, is that I undersexpose my digital shots (expose for the highlights
> at zone VII or VIII, let the shadows fall where they will) I can pull a
> lot of detail out of the shadows in Lightroom without losing any
> highlight values.

That is one strategy certainly, but with only 12 or 13 bits of conversion
typically, you're going to be giving up something with long tonal range
subjects.