[pure-silver] Re: holga focus

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:05:21 -0800

OK Becky Lynn, there are photographers and there are PHOTOGRAPHERS! You belong to the latter. Your talent will always come through. You could simply put a sheet of film in a box, hold it up to your head, and think of what you want on the film, and voila! So using a Holga, for you, is cheating! And when you use your 4x5, well, nobody has a chance!

You indeed can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

:-)

Jim

At 03:44 PM 11/5/2007 -0800, B P wrote:
hmmm... "a real camera"? I just took some photos with my, new to me, holga, a few days ago. Today I printed three of the image that I got from the, "toy", and wow, I really like what I got!! I'll scan them and post a link, later. I really, really like the images that I got. It's the first time that I've ever used a holga. It's the first roll of film from the holga and the first time that I've photographed this type of subject. I think I have an image that I'll enter in an upcoming show called, Figuratively Speaking. Doing a happy dance with my holga held up over my head, singing... I like my pretty little holga! :)

Becky Lynn

On 11/5/07, Jim Brick <<mailto:jim@xxxxxxxxx>jim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 09:19 AM 11/5/2007 -0600, Shannon Stoney wrote:

>Hi, I have a friend who is doing an interesting project in Mexico
>with kids and Holga cameras.  He says that they shot 150 rolls in
>October, but the focus is blurry past about 15 feet, even when the
>Holga is focused on infinity. I have never noticed this before,
>although it could be true.  Is this a "problem" with the Holga?  The
>shooters did change the focus to infinity when they were shooting
>distant objects.
>
>--shannon

Shannon,

Hey... they're Holgas! Made by Mattel I believe...  ;-)  One should
never expect anything from a Holga. What you get is what you get!
Always a surprise. If one wants sharp photographs, one should use a
'real' camera...

:-)

Jim