[pure-silver] Re: developing Royal Pan sheet film.

  • From: Helge Nareid <hn.groups@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 22:10:04 +0100

On 01/04/2011 21:27, Richard Knoppow wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bogdan" <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I've had some good experiences with Royal-X Pan both in 120 and 4x5"
formats in the 80's. One of the really good things about it as I recall
was its reciprocity behaviour. It was really good for night photography,
which was also well suited for its long-toe curve. The grain was
noticeable, but I quite liked the tonal range.

My base speed was 800, corrected as required for reciprocity. I used
HC-110 dilution B for processing, but I don't have any further details
handy (from memory 9 minutes at 20C for no reciprocity correction).

- The Horrible Helge

PS: Royal-X pan was also pretty good at airport security controls, the
guidelines at the time said film speeds up to ISO 800 was all right for
X-ray inspection. Having a couple of rolls of Royal-X pan with a nominal
speed of ISO 1250 in my bag got me a hand inspection without any further
ado ...