[pure-silver] Re: developing Royal Pan sheet film.

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 13:27:24 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bogdan" <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:52 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] developing Royal Pan sheet film.

Hello all,

I was doing an inventory of my darkroom freezer and found an unopened box of 100 4x5 sheets of 4141 Royal Pan film. Also a box of 3¼x4¼ Royal
Pan; have holders and Graphic cameras for this size.

Why waste good film , I say...

Any ideas as to development times and possible ASA? A Google search
gives 400 asa and 1250 asa for this film.

I was thinking that maybe I should develop in Diafine.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
Bogdan

A further note (I always forget something). The 1957 Kodak handbook was published before the ASA changed their measuring method from the original Kodak method with a one stop fudge factor to the simpler modified DIN method, which did not have the fudge factor. The difference in speed is one stop so by modern ISO methods Royal Pan film would have an index of 400. I am not sure what applies to Royal-X Pan. The film was so odd that Kodak may not have used the old ASA method for recommended speeds. If they did it would be ISO-2500. It was foggy when new and I think had very short shelf life.