[pure-silver] Re: developing Royal Pan sheet film.

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 13:22:31 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bogdan" <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:52 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] developing Royal Pan sheet film.

Hello all,

I was doing an inventory of my darkroom freezer and found an unopened box of 100 4x5 sheets of 4141 Royal Pan film. Also a box of 3¼x4¼ Royal
Pan; have holders and Graphic cameras for this size.

Why waste good film , I say...

Any ideas as to development times and possible ASA? A Google search
gives 400 asa and 1250 asa for this film.

I was thinking that maybe I should develop in Diafine.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
Bogdan

There were two films made simultaneously, Royal Pan, and Royal-X Pan. If this is Royal Pan its characteristics are as follows:
Speed: ASA 200 Daylight, 160 Tungsten
Processing information is given for DK-50, DK-50 1:1 and DK-60a. For Normal contrast: DK-50 2-3/4 minutes continuous agitation in a tray or 4 minutes intermittant agitation in a tank. Gamma is around 0.6 for this development.
Lower Contrast: DK-50 1:1 Tray, 5 minutes; Tank, 8 minutes
All at 68F.
The sensitometric curves show a fairly long toe for normal development. The spectral response to daylight is quite uniform so the film's tonal rendition of color in daylight should be good without a filter. Grain, Resolving Power, Sharpness (Acutance) are all rated as "Medium" and Degree of Enlargement as "Moderate". The notch code is two V notches with a medium space between them. This film appears to have been available only as sheet film. D-76 might be satisfactory but would probably be best used full strength. A more active developer like T-Max RS would probably be closer to DK-50. I have only preliminary information on Royal-X Pan in the material I have available here. Its noted in the 7th edition of the Kodak Film Handbook (1957) as a new film but part of the insert appears to be missing. By memory it was rated at ASA 1250 but would take considerable pushing. It also had a problem with dichroic fog in some developers (maybe D-76), I think DK-50 was the recommended developer. I think this film was not entirely satisfactory and was discontinued after a relatively short time. It has not relation to Royal Pan other than the similarity in names, something Kodak indulged in on occasion.