[pure-silver] Re: Thinking of moving back to film

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 17:22:53 -0400

On 06/28/2013 03:49 PM, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I never had a processor though.  I had to maintain temp with a water
> bath, a fish tank heater, and an fish tank air pump to move the water
> around to keep the temp more consistent.  It worked, but it was never
> going to be a high volume operation that way:-)  When I figured the
> costs, it was no cheaper and printing was actually much more expensive
> for me to do it myself than have it done.  At $12 a sheet that cost
> picture changes.

I got a Jobo CPE-2 processor and a Jobo drum (later, 2 Jobo drums) for
4x4 inch film. That worked fine and I could hold the temperature for C41
and E6 well enough.

I was a really lousy color printer, though.

> If I go that route though, it wouldn't take long to justify a jobo at
> $12 a sheet.  It also means upgrading my scanner, and buying lenses and
> shutters that cost far more.
>
> The other downside, and I know some here will poo poo this and that's
> ok, is that no zooms for large format.  Every time I am forced to use a
> prime lens, I get lucky.  Trouble is its all bad.  Right were I need to
> set up the camera for the lens I have is just not possible.  Something
> is already there that is in the way.  Some one is taking up the space or
> a barrier there.  I back up till I am almost far enough back, and then
> my back ends up in a barbed wire fence.  Anyone that uses primes knows
> the feeling.

I believe Dallmeyer made variable focal length lenses in the very early
20th century. You might be able to find one used. I do not know how good
they were optically. But at the time he was in business, he had a good
reputation.

What I did to solve this was to get a Wisner Convertible Plasmat set.
One shutter, 11 focal lengths from 152mm to 450mm. I also have an f/8
90mm Super Angulon. Those two are enough. If you want to consider the
convertable route, I suggest discussing it with the people at Lens and
Repro in NYC.

Now I do not know if they are still available; probably only used. But
good convertible lens sets can probably be obtained used, perhaps with
not quite so many focal lengths.