[pure-silver] Re: Thinking of moving back to film

  • From: Speedy <speedgraphic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 16:34:15 -0400

I have never processed C41.

I have done quite a bit of RA4 printing and got pretty good after wasting a
bunch of paper learning how.

I have a Jobo ATL-2 processor which makes it easy to get good consistent
prints.  I can do up to 16x20
with the tanks that I have.

I have not used the processor in quite some time.  My workload at my regular
job got to be such that I just
don't have the time to spend on this that I used to... I could easily use the
Jobo for C41 and RA4.  If only I
had the time.

Speedy

From: mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Thinking of moving back to film
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 12:49:09 -0700

I have done color processing many years ago.  I never was any good at all at
color printing.  Did ok souping the film, was much better though letting others
do the color printing.  Tried the RA 4 AT but it cost more than just sending it
out.  Much of what I would likely do now would be to send it to digital.  Much
better there, but if your temp varies by much when you ran the film, you still
had problems.
I never had a processor though.  I had to maintain temp with a water bath, a
fish tank heater, and an fish tank air pump to move the water around to keep
the temp more consistent.  It worked, but it was never going to be a high
volume operation that way:-)  When I figured the costs, it was no cheaper and
printing was actually much more expensive for me to do it myself than have it
done.  At $12 a sheet that cost picture changes.
Even the film wasn't a huge cost savings.  The cost of the chemistry was
enough, that though a good skill to learn and I believe it made me a better
photographer, it was better to let someone with a processor that could do much
better with temp control than I could using a fish tank heater and pump.
If I go that route though, it wouldn't take long to justify a jobo at $12 a
sheet.  It also means upgrading my scanner, and buying lenses and shutters that
cost far more.
The other downside, and I know some here will poo poo this and that's ok, is
that no zooms for large format.  Every time I am forced to use a prime lens, I
get lucky.  Trouble is its all bad.  Right were I need to set up the camera for
the lens I have is just not possible.  Something is already there that is in
the way.  Some one is taking up the space or a barrier there.  I back up till I
am almost far enough back, and then my back ends up in a barbed wire fence.
Anyone that uses primes knows the feeling.  It still happens with zooms, but
there are more options.  Half the time when I want to set up a tripod, there is
something on the ground that makes it difficult.  From big rocks to mud, to
steep hills and sand, I always seem to manage to find the one spot within 10
acres that a tripod just does not want to safely stand upright with its load.
Never forget that any time a gust of wind can come along and blow over your
expensive gear and smash it into a million little pieces, Photographer Murphy
is always happy to oblige and send you shopping for more gear.
Sad thing is I wouldn't be doing any of this if Adobe had not tried to milk me
for the nickel too far.  Then again, getting back to film will be fun too.  I
will just put what I would have spent in a Photoshop subscription into film.

From: Charlie Thorsten <charlie_thorsten@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, June 27, 2013 9:50 pm
To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 I can second that recommendation for North Coast Photographics.  They develop
my 4x5 B&W negatives for $3.00 a sheet and they do a great job.  Everything is
dip & dunk, nitrogen burst agitation, professional processing.  Last time I
asked they were using Xtol for their developer.

-Charlie