[pure-silver] Re: Thinking of moving back to film

  • From: "\"Grif\" w. keith griffith" <kgriffit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 07:21:10 -0700

I'm not digital yet,,, Pentax 645 and my original Nikon Ftn from 1969. Here's the rub with analog. Went to Mexico a couple of years ago. Shot 20 rolls of 120. Moving the film through customs twice was a bit the pain. (I was told international shipping would be x-rayed,,, I don't know about all that...) And 120 roll film can classify you as a professional. More pain and paperwork, I did get out of that with a bit of soft shoe.

$400 round figures for film, processing, shipping and inexpensive scans. Yes my Nikon is still just fine, and not a chance a digital will still be fully functional in 40 years. But the whole finance/budget thing is,,, like the teeshirt says...

"It's a little more complicated than that"

Oh,,,, I've been using GIMP on a regular basis. It's not PhotoShop, not as slick. Oh,,, and not as expensive ;-) Does what I need quite nicely.

On 06/26/2013 02:23 AM, Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee wrote:
For anyone interested: I have an 8x10 Kodak Master View Camera for sale. I am selling it for a friend in NOrway who has two of them. We have five of them and I wouldn't part with those as they are the best 8x10 field cameras ever made. The set up in about 10 seconds. My original KMV in 1967 survived a fall from the roof rack of my truck and hit the paved road. Result was only a broken ground glass. Try that with a wooden camera.

We also have a bunch of Mamiya 6x7 stuff available as when we go overseas for short periods my wife, Paula Chamlee, now uses a Pentax 6x7.

Analog only. Digital things are so expensive and you have to keep upgrading everything—software, computers, cameras. With analog, once you have the equipment, you have it forever.