[pure-silver] Re: Thinking of moving back to film

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:29:32 -0700 (PDT)

When I moved I brought my Blad stuff w/2 lenses and my old Century 8x10 w/a
305mm since I had a lot of 8x10 still in my freezer.  I sold my 4x5 as I hadn't
used it in some time.  My reasoning was that the 8x10 will be more useful than
the 4x5 as I can shoot for alt processes with that, while the Blad can handle
any other shooting.  It's been over a year since we moved and I still don't
have a darkroom although I don't mind that much.  I now have a full frame Canon
6D so that has kept me photographically sated.  I too will probably not get
into the latest Adobe offerings until such a time as it become absolutely
necessary.
I met a Dutch photographer here who wants to get into wet plate so that has put
me in search of a raw chemical supplier here with little luck and my suppliers
back in the states can ship most things, but the cost is astronomical and not
guaranteed to arrive given customs here.  We were able to find some camera
stores here that have some LF cameras that he may be able to use, but ebay also
offers some nice wet plate cameras that seem pretty cool with one seller who
refurbishes them himself.
So in debating 120 vs 4x5, personally I'd go for the 120 unless you are
thinking of getting into shooting for alt.  LF just slows down the process too
much for me and the Blad gear is heavy enough as it is.  4x5 wood fields are
purty tho!  Also film costs are getting difficult w/8x10 @$4+ a sheet.  I may
at some point opt for making my own plates once my supply of 8x10 film is
depleted.  Or not.