[pure-silver] Re: Sink Decisions and Waterproofing

  • From: Peter Badcock <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:54:56 +1000

Claudio,
I agree with you that it is a good idea to lower your vent tube. This is how
I placed mine - just above the trays. I also have a sheet of air blowing
across There is one other area I can suggest you change with your
ventilation tube. As you are extracting the air from one end of the pipe,
unless you have an extremely high negative pressure (i.e. vacuum) at the end
of the tube, the relative pressure drops between each hole across the tube
will result in radically different flow rates at one end of the tube
compared to the other end. To get around this I constructed a symmetrical
design (using a Y shaped splitter in the middle see
http://www.users.on.net/~tallowood/images/DSCN0845_sink%235.jpg ).
Additionally, and this is just as important, in my latest prototype (not the
one shown in the photo), I changed the continuous slot design into multiple
diagonal slots that became larger towards the end of the two pipes. An ASCII
art attempt gives the following
  | |
| |
| |
| |
/ /\ \
I used a spirometer (i.e. a flow meter that you can see in the photo) to
tune the hole sizes, since there are no easy formulae for calculating the
fluid dynamics in this highly non-typical situation (I didn't want to resort
to finite element analysis!)
 regards
Peter