[pure-silver] Re: Sepia Toners

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:27:24 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bogdan Karasek" <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 3:09 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Sepia Toners

Hello Richard,

Once again, Thanks for the added sepia toners and the formulas.

As soon as I get the extra chemicals these toners require, I'll give them a try.

Regards,
Bogdan

The term "sepia toner" seems to have been used for the bleach and re-develop type, also called "indirect" toners. There have always been recommended as suitable for neutral and cold tone paper because they tend toward a yellowish brown. Since the color of the original image has an effect on the color resulting from toning direct toner, like hypo-alum, may tend to produce too cold a brown on cold tone papers and indirect types too yellow a tone on warm tone paper. The relationship is not absolute and the developer has a strong influence. Actually, "Sepia" is the name of a color so, presumably, any toner which results in something approximating this color is a "sepia" toner, although the term seems to be confined to those which produce silver sulfide. I have many variations of direct toners. Most of these are some version of the standard hypo-alum type but some have added ingredients which probably affect the image color. For instance, one toner, I think Defender, has potassium iodide in addition to the bromide. I don't know what effect this has but its probably worth experimenting with. There are at least two toners which have the addition of some gold chloride. One is the well-known Nelson's Gold Toner but another is a Haloid formula, essentially hypo-alum but with some gold added. Treating a print toned in any of the sulfiding sepia toners with a gold toner will turn them some shade of red. Gold toners, by themselves, produce a bluish color, the vividness depending on the original image color, the warmer the original image the more vivid the blue color. There are other toners which produce brown or sepia colors. For instance Copper toner but the image from copper, like iron-blue toner, is not protected from oxidation as is the image from any sulfiding toner. Nonetheless the colors available from some of the more obscure toners may be useful from an artistic standpoint provided one understands that the images may not be permanent. If anyone is interested in more toner formulas I will be glad to post them. I do think that hypo-alum or, especially Nelson's Gold toner is worth experimenting with.

---