[pure-silver] Re: Plenachrome film development

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 01:37:09 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "janet ness" <nessj@xxxxxxx>
To: "pure-silver" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 8:20 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Plenachrome film development

I have a student in my darkroom class who will be bringing in to develop a roll of Plenachrome 120 film that was in an old box camera he just purchased. Since this film is 50 years old or more, I expect it is fogged. Would it help to add some Benzotriazole solution? I have some on hand and the container says that it is used for paper, but could it help the film? We have no idea how long to develop the film in Xtol, but I expect we can't overdevelop it. We don't expect this film will yield much, but what the heck, we have to try.

Janet Ness

Plenachrome was Ansco's answer to Kodak Verichrome, a medium speed (about ISO 64 daylight) orthochromatic film meant for box cameras and similar use. An old chart for AGFA-Ansco 17, very similar to D-76, gives a time of about 8 minutes @ 68F for a gamma of 0.8 If the film has been exposed the best you can do is to give it normal development. Any anti-fog will tend to destroy whatever latent image remains. I would also recommend developing in a very active developer like Dektol 1:4 at quite low temperature. Images from some very old film has been recovered by using process developer at cold temps. If the film is unexposed normal development without an anti-fog but with perhaps a stop or more of extra exposure will be most likely to be successful. While anti-fog can result in clear borders it changes the curve of the film and, since it looses speed anyway, has no advantage other than making the negatives a bit faster to print. Plenachrome was well-liked in its day and was a good film. Beware that if the film is very old it may have suffered from vinegar syndrome. Ansco's support was not as stable as Kodak's so some older still film has suffered pretty badly.
    Save the box, its good memorabilia.