[pure-silver] Re: My first attempt at 4x5

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:00:36 -0800

I have a ZBE Sentinette, which is a re-made (by ZBE) DeVere 504 with a ZBE
Starlite 55 computer color head. I also have a motorized Beseler 45V-XL,
also with a ZBE Starlite 55 head. The ZBE enlarger (DeVere) is much better
made than the Beseler, the neg carriers are beautiful, and the whole
package is just a joy to use. But the motorized Beseler is also a great
enlarger, albeit a little rough around the edges, but when making large
prints, with the head up high and the easel dropped down toward, or on, the
floor, the motors are the only way one can size, crop, and focus. I don't
have 8' long arms with double jointed shoulders. Beseler products have
always been a little on the rough side. But after using all other brand
easels, I finally ended up with Beseler 4-blade easels (20x24 & 16x20) as
the best working easels for me. I have white tape on the edge of the blades
(comes with the easels) which allows you to see what part of the image is
under the blade. A godsend for careful cropping. I also have a Photon Beard
16x20 4-blade easel for making special borders. And I have a Photon Beard
20x24 2-blade easel for those times when a four blade easel hits the wall
or simply cannot be positioned properly. It's amazing how often use it.
Nice easel. Cheap too.

:-)

Jim