[pure-silver] Re: How do you wash fiber paper?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:38:16 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike" <bw.zone@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 1:10 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: How do you wash fiber paper?

I would think that the window screens would be fine as long as you
batch wash.I would stay away from copper and just use the PVC. I
thought I read that copper in the process is a bad thing, or was just
in the developer tray? Also I would think that fiberglass screens
would be your best choice.

Making this washer looks like it would be cheap enough to build a few,
in different sizes. Start small and test it, if it works then build
the next size up. One thing that has always bothered me about the
large plexi washer is my prints seemed to want to stick to the plexi
dividers. This washer would seem to solve that.

Mike

Copper is a problem for developers because it can cause fogging in even trace amounts. Its not a problem for washing. The main thing you want in a washer is a fast change of water at the surfaces of the paper. Volume can be small because the washing action takes place in a thin layer right at the surface. Because washing is primarily a diffusion process the rate depends on the ratio of the concentration of hypo in the paper to that in the water. At first, when the concentration in the paper is very high, the hypo diffuses out quickly even if the water is not changing rapidly. However, as washing progresses it slows down exponentially. If paper is washed in still water the hypo forms a cloud at the surface of the water. While equilibrium is never reached it is approached so at some point the washing action effectively stops. This is why long soaks are illusory, getting the last of the hypo out requires fresh water at the surfaces.
The idea of a bottom drain is based on two mistakes: one is that the specific gravity of hypo laden water will cause it to sink to the bottom, the other is that there is no circulation. Since hypo is highly soluble it forms a solution with the water. In still water the hypo forms a cloud at the surface of the paper which continues to diffuse out into the body of the water. At some point it will attain equilibrium with the concentration of hypo being the same everywhere, including in the paper. There might be some circlulation at the surface due to convexion but this will simply increase the diffusion rate into the water. Local action like this accounts for directional bromide streaks on films that are stand developed while vertical. The bromide is heavier than the developer so it moves downward along the film. However, it does not become concentrated at the bottom of the developing vessel, it goes into solution.
Motion picture processing machines often use sprays to wash the film. I've seen attempts at print washers that used sprays of one sort or another. This should be effective and low volume, but there doesn't seem to have ever been a successful commercial washer based on this.
If you batch wash the important thing is to insure access of the water to both surfaces of the paper (at least for fiber). A washer that would allow insertion of sheets at random times would really have to be several separate washers so that the hypo from the fresh sheets would not contaminate the overall washer allowing it to get back into almost washed sheets. The only advantage of so called archival washers over a tray with a tray siphon is that they keep the sheets well separated. My old Zone VI washer resorts to a very heavy and complex structure to do this. I am quite sure that a simpler and lighter washer could be made. Also, the Zone VI takes too long to change the water. I've tested this using dye (actually beet juice), one can see the circulation pattern and also see how long it takes for the dye to be eliminated. To get reasonable wash rates with this device I must increase the flow rate to the point where it overflows at the top. I operate mine in the bathtub.
One can test the effectiveness of a washer using one of the methods of testing for residual hypo. The simplest is the silver nitrate test but a more sensitive test is the Methylene Blue test. When testing a washer design whole sheets should be tested to investigate the uniformity of washing. Some washers may be very efficient in the center but leave hypo in the margins, etc. I have not conducted tests of this sort mainly because the test solutions become expensive in the quantities needed.

---