[pure-silver] Re: How do you wash fiber paper?

  • From: rusty57 <rusty57@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 11:24:04 -0700

 No matter how you wash your prints you should test some full size sheets
for residual fixer, to make sure that whatever technique you use actually
works.
Temperature/ water ph/ water flow/ print separation all play a part.

I use a vertical washer (Zone VI) which I love. I keep it on a rolling
cart and wheel it up to the sink and connect it with a "snap connecter".
I use it with one to thirty prints.
In the past, in various darkrooms, I have used  a Kodak siphon, a
stainless steel washing machine that tumbled the prints,  a stainless
steal tray that rocked back and forth, cross flow trays, circular flow
trays, a rocking Patterson deal made mostly of plastic, and standing
water tray washes.
They all could produce an archival print ( and even sometimes multiple
prints) , but you have to test and make sure your procedures are
repeatable.

Light Impressions used to sell a great set of felt tip pens for testing
print longevity.  They tested for PH, residual silver, residual hypo and
residual hypo clearing agent.  I think they offer only the PH pen now.
Anyone know of a current source for the others?

R U S S  G O R M A N  P H O T O G R A P H Y
            Portland Oregon
             503.970.6638
 <http://www.russgormanphotography.com>