[pure-silver] Re: Hello

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:21:42 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "B P" <peeperphotos@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:21 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Hello

The website is gone but I do have a picasa album. The images are all a few years old. http://picasaweb.google.com/peeperphotos I was and still am a student with a lot to learn. Especially on the technical side of things. I'd like to learn about lighting and do some still life and maybe try my hand at figure studies at some point in time. But first I have to figure out lighting and I don't have any experience with that at all so it should be a fun adventure to say the least. But first things first, getting out the cameras and asking their forgiveness for the lack of attention.

I'll get some photos of the darkroom for you and post them in a picasa album
for you. :)

btw Peeper is my last name. I went back to my maiden name.
     ^^^^^^
What a name for a photographer:-)

Becky Lynn

Becky, this is serously good work. Whatever shortcomings you think you have for technical knowledge you have the "eye" and I don't think that can be taught. There are books on lighting but I think the best way to learn that is practice. After a while you get so you can look at pictures or movies and analyse the lighting. You can always be your own model. For portraits or even figure studies use a large mirror to see what you look like. Bunny Yeager, who was a famous pin-up photographer of the 1950's and 1960's was also a top pin-up model and wrote a book on how she photgraphed herself. Marlena Detrich, who probably had more technical knowledge than most of the people she worked with, also always had a large mirror located at the camera to check her lighting. You can make a test light by mounting a nite-lite type reflector on the end of a stick, something like a curtain rod of a tube from the lamp supply store. This can be used to explore the effect of light from different directions by moving it around the subject (including yourself). Eventually, you will not need it to know where to place lights to get a desired effect. An old book which I found helpful and is now available in reprint editions is _Painting with Light_ by John Alton. Alton was a well known director of photography in Hollywood and this is one of the very few books that actually explains how movie lighting was done. My exploring stick light comes from this book.

---