[pure-silver] Re: "Hand Printed"

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 06:09:46 -0600

The fact that digital prints seem less valuable is kind of a good thing I think. The history of photography is rooted in printmaking. Printmaking--etching, lithography, etc--is a way to reproduce drawings cheaply and easily. Photography made it even cheaper and easier to make "drawings," with light. Now digital prints make the photographic print itself less labor-intensive and therefore cheaper. I am all for it. I still mostly make silver prints, but it's great to know that if I get a machine made print and I damage it a bit, no sweat: I can just crank out another one, or pay somebody to do it. I have hung digitally-made prints on occasion without frames, because it's no big deal if they get damaged a little.

On a related note: recently I made some inkjet prints of a 4x5 transparency, on three different Epson printers. Then I took the same transparency file to a lab and had them make a digital c-print. The latter was so much better than the inkjet prints. It cost more, but it was worth it. Continuous tone still rules, in my book.

However I have seen some really good inkjet prints. Not sure how they do it.

--shannon

On Nov 30, 2008, at 1:43 AM, Harry Lock wrote:

Hi All

Dana makes some very valid points, about the artist/photographer's intervention at the digital printing process, but one cannot help the feeling that ink-jet, or giclee, prints are some how less valuable than a silver gelatine print.

Let me explain.

I am a photographer that sells prints in galleries and as such, have over the years framed all of my own work. Word is out, and I now get framing from other photographers who want archival framing.

A couple of years ago I framed some silver gelatine prints produced by one of this country's best known (and expensive) photographers. I was quite nervous, handled the prints with great care and did the job, breathing a sigh of relief when it was done.

This year I had to frame 20 prints by the same photographer for an exhibition - this time thought they were ink-jet prints. I found myself being 'less careful' in a way. Any damage to a print would not send him back into the darkroom to produce another print, I would just pick up the phone and order another one from the printer. So you can see what I am getting at. I should know better, but I still, sub-consciously, place more value on the darkroom print.

Ask me about this in a few weeks time and things will probably have changed - on Friday I will be taking delivery of my own Epson 3800 printer.

Cheers for now

Harry

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dana H. Myers" <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>