[pure-silver] Re: how to hang show?

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 05:57:46 -0600

In the airport, I do stop and look at the photos of other people rather carefully, but maybe I am the only one. I am going to check out this place more carefully on Wednesday to see if I think people will actually stop and look at them. The image area of the photos is small--around 8x10--so you kind of have to get up close to see them.

Marty Stuart has a show about country music people (naturally) in a cafe in the airport, as well as on some walls in the terminal, and they are pretty close together. They look a little too crowded to me. Also they are stacked vertically, with two rows of photos, and they are framed pretty big too. I thought his show looked a little too cluttered.

But the photos were good.

--shannon

On Nov 29, 2008, at 2:03 PM, Ken Hart1 wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney"

I am doing a show in the Nashville airport in early march.
I am trying to figure out how many photos I can fit in the space. They
are framed to 16x20 and most of them are horizontal format, but a few
are vertical. The lady who runs the arts in the airport program said I
could put them as close as 12" apart. That seems kind of close to me.
What is a normal distance apart for photos that size?

--shannon

In my studio lobby, there is a long wall where I have 16x20 verticals matted in 20x24 frames hung on 32" centers-- approximitely 10" between frames. On another short wall, I have two 20x24 frames hung on 48" centers. This configuration gives nearly equal space between the frames and on either side of the frames.

In a home setting, the wall around the frame can be considered as a secondary matt. Consider the portrait as a piece of furniture, and give it it's own space.

Your application, however, is not a home setting, but rather, a gallery. How will the photos be viewed? Will people be standing there intensely looking at each one? If so, they should have some space between them so that people won't be crowded as they view the photos. Or are they just background (not to disparage your work!)? If which case, they can be closer together. I suspect that in an airport, people won't be leisurely viewing the photos. ======================================================================= ====================================== To unsubscribe from this list, go to www.freelists.org and logon to your account (the same e-mail address and password you set-up when you subscribed,) and unsubscribe from there.