[pure-silver] "Hand Printed"

  • From: Elias Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 15:22:43 -0500

Today I went for a bike ride - it was in the mid forties and sunny. Very refreshing. I stopped by a fancy little market on my way because I'd never been in, and there was a shelf full of framed photos, some color some b&w. The prints were local scenery and themes, well composed and pleasant. Above the prints was a card with the artist's statement, which was also well done, but I had a laugh when I read the title advertising the quality of the prints: "Hand Printed on an Epson..."

When one considers the history of photography for only a minute, it is immediately understood that the first thing photography did was nearly eliminate manual manipulation from image making; especially in comparison with wood engraving, which it replaced in newspapers and illustrated books. Save for dodging, burning and agitation, it's hard to even consider a darkroom print "hand-printed", so when you think about the leap to digital, and all the losses of manual control associated with it, not to mention that the digital image itself does not even exist as a thing, the prospect of a human mind concluding that an ink jet print is made by hand is simply astounding.

Lest any think it, I am not offended in the least. In fact there's a mischievous streak in me that actually appreciates the statement. At worst it reveals a character flaw of mine, a real need for "calling it like it is" on a number of levels. But it gave a me chuckle that I hope I've passed along.

Elias