[pure-silver] Re: "Hand Printed"

  • From: "Dana H. Myers" <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 20:43:04 -0800

Elias Roustom wrote:
Today's ride started in fog at
7am but it cleared into a fine, brisk morning by 8am, temperature
in the high 40s, total of 58 miles including a loop through Napa
vineyards.
I'm in awe! That sounds very very cool.

No awe necessary ;-)  It's a typical Saturday ride for me;
note that the Napa vineyards on this ride are in remote eastern
Napa county, but the wine still says "Napa Valley".  There's a
decent chance that tomorrow's ride will be to Napa Valley proper,
probably Yountville... ~74 miles.  Might even make a winery stop
(and spit...).  Need to stay in condition over the winter months.

Especially digital printing. Pretend for a moment that you had the option to move the print-head of your ink-jet back and forth by hand, and how you did so (speed, pressure, etc.) contributed to the quality of the output, and told of your skill and experience as an artist. That would be hand-made.

That would be *one* definition of "hand-made", and a fairly conservative
definition at that.  There are basically an infinite number of valid
definitions that could be debated, and it's about as productive as the
Great Morse Code Debate was in the amateur radio realm (note that
Morse Code is no longer required of amateur radio operators today).

So, the notion of "Hand-printed on a Epson" really isn't worthy
of a snicker once you have anything beyond a superficial appreciation
of the craft.
Just to be clear, none of the editing, post-processing, test printing, color profiling, ink & paper selection, etc. is being addressed at all. I have more than a superficial appreciation for the craft, and a thorough understanding of art-making processes, methods and materials, and spend my working hours physically and intellectually joining digital to analogue, hand-made and machine-made. Only the notion that a machine-made print is hand-made is silly. It would be like saying "Walked to in a Ford".

Based on the very conservative definition of "hand-made" that you've
offered, sure.  At the same time, are cookies made with store-bought
flour not hand-made?  Does using an electric mixer make those cookies
"machine made"?  ... and so on.  But pure-silver isn't the place for
that rhetorical discussion ;-)

[...]

If hand-made is now in the realm of metaphor, what's left of the physical world, and our place in it as artists? I don't think of that so much as a snicker, but as a reasonable question.

It's a good question.  Perhaps not one for pure-silver.

Cheers!
Dana