[pure-silver] Re: "Hand Printed"

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 11:02:11 -0400

DEAR ELIAS,
        Hey!  I am dyed in the wool, silver gelatin kinda guy.  BUT, I do
some digital work.  What you have not related is that the trimming, dodging,
burning, testing, contrast changing, etc., etc., that are done under the
enlarger (as well as spotting) are done at the computer...by hand!  My hand
on the mouse has messed up many Frotoshop burns, dodges, spotting, etc.  The
good news is that I just back up a few steps in "history" and correct it
instead of flashing and processing the piece of paper (to have some one
sided black paper for dodging & burning) or tossing it in the rubbish and
getting out another piece of paper to try again.
        There is hand work (legerdemain?) requiring manual dexterity in BOTH
processes.
                CHEERS!
                        BOB