[pure-silver] Re: Film developer temperatures??

  • From: Christopher Woodhouse <chris.woodhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:28:38 +0000

The late Barry Thornton recommended 24C for Perceptol. His own observations
concluded that the shortening of the development time was welcome and there
were no obvious practical downsides.

I use the same myself. In the UK, where AC in homes is uncommon, using 24 C
allows me to heat my room and water on all but a few days of the year.

Chris Woodhouse ARPS

On 20/3/05 4:28 pm, "David Swinnard" <davidswinnard@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I grew up using 20C (68F) as a standard temp. for film developing, and
> in my non-southern (NA centric view) location seldom had issues
> maintaining it, summer or winter. The cold water tap always delivers
> sub-20C water here.  For unknown reasons, I started to wonder whether
> there are any significant benefits to using other (higher) temperatures.
> The only obvious one I can think of is shorter dev. times though I've
> not yet been rushed enough to pursue a higher temp. for that reason
> alone. (My previous reluctance to move chemical temps. beyond room (20C)
> temperature is dealt with by the JOBO CPA-2 now available to me.
> Sometimes it just makes a fine chemical-tempering unit rather than a
> developing system.)
>
> So, are there any compelling reasons to re-think my dev. temp.
> strategies?  I seem to recall reading somewhere that
> Perceptol/Microdol-type formulations benefit from temps in the 24C (75F)
> range but can't remember the reasoning.  What about other developers?
> Will I gain anything, beyond shorter dev. times? Are there implications
> for sharpness, grain, etc. with higher dev. temps? (keeping them in the
> realm of the reasonable)
>
> I frequently don't bother with the JOBO for a few rolls of film and use
> my old SS Nikor tank and reels. sheet film is always in the JOBO now.
>
> (In my darkroom, over the last few years, you would likely find devs.
> like my regularly used XTOL (1+3, never a problem had), FX-39 (when I
> can get it), Rollo-Pyro (from B+S), Perceptol (at 1+3) and even Pyrocat
> HD once. Films typically TMY  or HP5 in sheet and Acros, TMX, Delta 100
> in 35mm/roll formats.)
>
> Just curious, Dave

Regards Chris Woodhouse