[pure-silver] Re: Film developer temperatures??

  • From: jeffrey <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:33:58 -0800

If your present set-up works well, there is probably good reason to
stick to it, or at least close to it.

My own, very subjective, experience, with other films and developers,
is that I don't want to stray too close to 68F, because it seems to
me that developer activity falls off sharply below that temp. So,
since I may not control variables in the process as well as others on
this list, I feel the need to allow for some 'slack' in case I make a
mistake. If I am already at 68F, and I stray cooler, then the negs
are likely to be too thin for an easy print. If I start at 72F and
stray a couple degrees in either direction, at least the change will
be in a fairly predictable increment.

Just my 2 cents.