[pure-silver] Re: Film developer temperatures??

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:08:33 +0800

Dear Friends,

    Yes, yes, I know your darkrooms are climate controlled. So is mine.
Unfortunately the control is set permanently on " Simpson Desert ".

    But there are compensations - I was processing glamour girl pictures
with the RA 4 process tonight and the machine heaters did not have to wink
on hardly at all. The wash water was nice and warm out of the tap and the
prints dried on the racks in record time with just a fan blowing over them.

    Summer does not last forever, and at least I do not have to sit in a
stuffy classroom with nothing but overhead fans for air circulation. I have
a new A/C at the surgery and have set it to blow over me all day. I elbow
the nurse out of the way to get to the cool air.

    I have certainly learned that some sheet film emulsions can be adversely
affected by the heat. I mistakenly left a number of film holders with Fuji
NPS  in my ready-use locker near the studio camera and they cycled up and
down in temperature for weeks before they were used. The results are green
in some areas and pink in others and are mutually un-filterable. I now use
Kodak Portra and keep the holders in the fridge until the day they are
needed - the colours have come back to normal. Believe me, green glamour
girls are hard to sell.

    Uncle Dick