[pure-silver] Re: Editions and Numbering

  • From: Joel Alpers <joel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 06:11:22 -0600

Harry Lock wrote:
Hi All

All this talk of fibre-prints has got me thinking of the age-old question - "To number, or not to number".

I am sure this has been discussed here before, but if you don't mind could I raise the question again.

How many on the list print photographic prints and sell them as 'art' - in galleries, etc. (as opposed to printing for commercial clients and commissions.) That is, you take a photograph, decide it is worthy of selling, make some prints and frame or mount and sell them through a gallery.

Harry:

I sell prints through a gallery in the area. The gallery owner (my first gallery, hopefully
more to come!) made strong arguments to me in favor of limited editions.
If so, do print an edition, ie.limiting the number of prints, and number the prints accordingly?

I mat the photos with a "reveal" of the bottom mat, the way Ansel Adams (understand that I am not comparing my photos to his, simply the matting ;) ;) on page 157 of "The Print", with a the opening of the single top mat larger than the final print size, which causes a "reveal" of the substrate mat. This leaves an area for my signature (on the right), title, (centered), and an edition number (which I put on the left). It is customary to include the print number and edition size (i.e 3/250). I also reserve the right to do a number of Artist Proofs, I label these AP1/5, etc. Artist proofs are a small number of prints that are usually given as gifts or kept for oneself.

Then the questions are:
How do you determine how many to to print from the negative?
As someone else pointed out, the real value is if there are not many total prints. But I find that usually a practical limit is "how many prints do you want to make?" I limit mine so far to 250, and I have yet to sell out of an edition ;) A couple of my prints have limits of 50. But you can pick whatever you like! I think a "limited edition" of 3000 may as well not be limited at all,
for example...
Do you print then all at once - same paper, chemicals, toners, etc., or do you print on demand from a catalogue say.
Definitely on demand. I keep accurate records of exposure, enlarger height, etc., and for my harder-to-print negatives, I keep a "reference' print (one of the artist proofs) to refer
to when printing.
If you choose to print on demand, and let's say you have chosen to print the previos images in the edition on 12 X 16 inch paper, and a client order a smaller or larger image, is it still part of the 12 X 16 edition, or do you stick to your guns and say it comes in only one size? When you price the work, does the selling price increase with the edition number? ie prints numbered 1-10 = $100.00; 11-20 = $150.00 and prints 21-30 = $200.00, and so on.

This is an area where opinions differ. I took the approach that it really doesn't matter, as long as you are clear. On the back of my matted prints I dry-mount an "info sheet" about the print that includes interesting info about the print, etc. and also includes details about the limited edition. On early prints I limited to a total edition of 250 prints of any size. On later editions I have gone to a limit of 250 per print size offered. I also include a clause stating that small prints for promotional purposes (i.e. post cards) are not included in the total, and that the limited edition does not preclude inclusion in a book. Just to be on the safe side.
And then the last question: does the numbering of prints really increase the value of the print, and does the average buyer really understand the concept and appreciate the value of a limited edition?

My gallery owner is absolutely convinced that it does - she has told me of people who come into her gallery and ask, "Why are these so expensive compared to the prints at XXX gallery, so she has an opening to explain how XXX sells unlimited prints - the photographers there can sell any number, and that cheapens them. She
has sold prints on that argument.

That said, some very well known photographers (example: John Sexton) do NOT
limit their print editions, and do quite well. The truth is that, for at least prints made traditionally, are naturally limited anyway - who wants to print 3000 of the same print under an enlarger??? I don't - I want to move on to new images. So it is a
complex issue.
Sorry for all the questions - it is looking like one of those dreadful surveys we all try to avoid.

Not at all!  Hope this helps.
Cheers for now

I do not agree with the person (sorry, didn't save the email, so I don't recall
the name) who said you must destroy the negative after the edition is done.
I believe that self-control is sufficient. I do keep my negatives in archival
sleeves, so my intent when I do sell out an edition) is to simply mark that
fact on the sleeve.

I keep a data base of all limited edition prints made, including, if possible,
who purchased them (info not usually available if it is a gallery sale) so I
know what the next edition number is when I make new prints.

Hope this helps!

Joel.