[pure-silver] Editions and Numbering

  • From: "Harry Lock" <harrylock@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:12:02 +0200

Hi All

All this talk of fibre-prints has got me thinking of the age-old question - "To number, or not to number".

I am sure this has been discussed here before, but if you don't mind could I raise the question again.

How many on the list print photographic prints and sell them as 'art' - in galleries, etc. (as opposed to printing for commercial clients and commissions.) That is, you take a photograph, decide it is worthy of selling, make some prints and frame or mount and sell them through a gallery.

If so, do print an edition, ie.limiting the number of prints, and number the prints accordingly?

Then the questions are:
How do you determine how many to to print from the negative?
Do you print then all at once - same paper, chemicals, toners, etc.,
or do you print on demand from a catalogue say.
If you choose to print on demand, and let's say you have chosen to print the previos images in the edition on 12 X 16 inch paper, and a client order a smaller or larger image, is it still part of the 12 X 16 edition, or do you stick to your guns and say it comes in only one size? When you price the work, does the selling price increase with the edition number? ie prints numbered 1-10 = $100.00; 11-20 = $150.00 and prints 21-30 = $200.00, and so on.

And then the last question: does the numbering of prints really increase the value of the print, and does the average buyer really understand the concept and appreciate the value of a limited edition?

Sorry for all the questions - it is looking like one of those dreadful surveys we all try to avoid.

Cheers for now

Harry