[pure-silver] Re: DELTA 100 AS REPLACEMENT FOR Tmax 100

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 12:06:56 -0400

DEAR RICHARD,
        For current wisdom your MSDS trumps my local chemist but I will
continue to use standard precautions (gloves, minimize chem dust, etc.) with
phenol based dev agents, toners, most alt photo chem, and processing in
general for the following reason:
        In the Toxicity section of the Appendix on page 58 of Gordon
Hutchins "BOOK OF PYRO", he cites, among other things, ease of bodily
absorption, toxicity, and "...the debilitating effects of kidney
dysfunction...".  On page 59 he states that pyro easily crosses the
blood-brain barrier and causes "variance in blood pressure, somnulance
(sleepiness and lethargy) and convulsant activity (Wylie and Archer, 1960;
Angel and Rogers, 1972; Tache and Tache, 1977)"
        In the next sentence he states, "Laboratory research indicates that
pyrogallol and its primary oxidized form, purpurogallin, are probably
mutogenic and carcinogenic agents (Ben-Gurion, 1979; Van Duuren, 1980)."
        I repeat that I have used PMK for 10 years and intend to also use
other variations of pyro formulae so I sincerely don't want to discourage
anyone from trying/using staining developers.  Gordon's info simply
reinforces my dedication to simple, standard, lab/darkroom safety practices:
Gloves at all times, respirator when mixing, goggles with certain other
chems.   Reasonable darkroom safety is a situation where "more is more".
*****I recommend Gordon's book as required reading for anyone who wants to
try pyro.
                CHEERS!
                        BOB