[pure-silver] Re: DELTA 100 AS REPLACEMENT FOR Tmax 100

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 12:18:27 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "mail1" <mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 9:11 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: DELTA 100 AS REPLACEMENT FOR Tmax 100

Richard wrote
"If it works the effect is to lower the contrast of the highlights. Actually, the stain _is_ linear in that it is exactly proportional to the silver density, however, its effect on the paper depends on the stain density so its effect is greater for highlight than for shadow areas."

.....its effect on the paper depends on the stain density so its effect is
greater for highlight than for shadow areas.....

Yes its effect is linear on the film, but is its effect on the paper linear?

Jonathan Ayers [mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

I think I agree with this. The stain is a linear function of the silver density on the negative but its effect on variable contrast paper is to create a curve on the negative characteristic resulting in contrst which becomes less with negative density. That is non-linear. At some time in the distant past someone did some sensitometric testing and posted the results to the web. I've long since retired the computer this was stored on but it did show the effect.

---